Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Oh Come ON!- a lesson in patience!

Schools in the area were all called off yesterday because it had rained and then was well on it's way to freezing, with 17 BELOW zero actual temps forecasted for last night. I unfortunately work NORTH of "the area". In a district that rarely calls school off for weather purposes. Now for the patience part- I saw on a local news website that school was closed today! YIPPEE! However- we have an official calling tree system where the principal calls 4 people and they call the next people and so on. I am the first person on the list after he starts the other chains going. The news website reported it at 5:37am. It is now 6:03 and I still have not received the call. Frustrating! I should have been in the shower, had my car started and be ready to leave my house in 12 minutes. I'm not ready- the news says "no school!" WHERE IS MY PHONE CALL!?!?!??

Update: At 6:07 I called my building secretary, who I would call if calling in sick(I knew she would be expecting phone calls this early). She hadn't heard anything yet. Anything. She was unable to reach our principal and her and the other secretary decided- START CALLING! I'd made my phone call and call waiting beeped with my principal on the line. At 6:20! It was indeed off, and the person who makes the decision didn't call people because it was called so early and was on the news. For the record: I live so far from my work that we don't get the same TV channels. I get Western Wisconsin, they get Twin Cities. . . . I think maybe we should be in a different time zone! Maybe I'll do a post about how drastically the weather can vary during my drive . . .

Okay, I'm over it. Glad I only had a partial cup of coffee. I'm going back to bed. Stay warm!

See y'all this afternoon!

A

2 are still reading for some reason . . .:

S.B.G. said...

i guess the school system there hasn't heard of this handy dandy thing called a website, so out of region or not, you can check, and if they update everyone knows. Who knew. But I guess they're not up for simple perhaps?!

whimsical brainpan said...

I hope you got to enjoy the rest of the day off.