Saturday, March 22, 2008

We had an absolute blast tonight at Action City. We played hard for 2 hours, then went to Walmart and played around. My youngest niece had $10.00 to spend and within 45 minutes she went from a dress for her dog to a Hannah Montana poster to a lint roller, finally settling on a fashion magazine and skittles. No rhyme or reason that I could see.

I talked to an old friend tonight. Two weeks ago they took their seven year old daughter to the doctor. After doing some labs but finding nothing, they finally ran her liver enzymes (they'd ran them a few months ago and they were elevated but went back down closer to normal soon after). They ran and reran them and called them at home, telling them to get little Baylee back to the hospital immediately. They started at their local hospital, but were quickly transferred to a children's hospital in Portland where they do liver transplants. They determined that Baylee was in liver failure and her liver is dying and not regenerating itself. At some point they were life flighted down to Stanford hospital in California. Throw in a reaction to a medication and pneumonia and their two weeks are a roller coaster. They put her at the top of the transplant list, but when a liver became available, her pneumonia made the surgery impossible. Today was a good day for them. Baylee was awake for the whole day and seemed much more upbeat today. Her numbers have begun to come down and her mom is really wondering if God has a miracle for Baylee. I cannot imagine having a child go through this. Baylee's brother and sister are waiting at home with family.

I must confess that with all of the fun that we had earlier, go karts, laser tag, bumper cars, bowling, etc, that my personal highlight occurred on the way home in the car. While flipping through the stations we heard Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer. To my nearly fourteen year old niece's dismay, my sister and I continued belting out the lyrics at the top of our lungs, long past her tolerance for our singing ability! It was a pretty strange moment, for sure! I loved it!

I'll go now, as we're watching Shrek the third (yikes! it's 1:35 am!) and getting ready for bed.

A night full of memories and fun!

A

1 are still reading for some reason . . .:

Unknown said...

Oh man, you didn't sing that whole song, did you? I feel for your niece.

And I really am pulling for your friend's daughter! Docs can do pretty neat things with livers these days.