Saturday, September 22, 2007

Memory foam and cars . . . .

Yeah, this post is a hodgepodge!

My new bed is a memory foam bed that I got from my aunt and uncle. They bought it, and then gave it to my cousin and her husband when they got a thicker memory foam. My cousin and her husband also bought a thicker memory foam. My uncle gets furniture at cost through his job and is retiring in December so they are getting all the furniture they think they may need before them. I also got a great couch. Both for a reasonable price. I've never slept on a memory foam mattress before and it's kind of weird. It's been one week now, and it's still really weird. It is apparently heat sensitive and your body heat causes it to shift and fit your form. There are no springs, at all! I had no idea how set I was in my mind about beds bouncing and giving way underneath you. It is completely unnerving to roll over and for the entire bed to just stay put. I'm not sure if I'm going to adjust yet. I bought a new pillow today hoping that better pillows will fulfill my "nesting need" and make me more comfortable over all. Have you all ever slept on a memory foam mattress? Or heard stories about them?

My next question is about cars. I'm going to get a new car sometime in the near future. My current car has 144,000 or thereabouts and being a mid- to large- sized car, the fuel efficiency just isn't there for the miles I'm putting on in a week. I'd love to go hybrid or something closer, but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it right now. I'm looking at getting a small or mid- size car with good gas mileage. Probably used. Do you have any ideas where I could start looking? Makes and models of cars that you know or have heard of? Must be dependable, good on gas and easy on the eyes(not really required, just a perk!). I'm just hoping for a jumping off point!

Happy weekend to you all!
A

5 are still reading for some reason . . .:

Anonymous said...

Dang it. I can't help on either subject.

Gretchen said...

I am sold on Hondas of any size. If you can afford new, buy it, because the resale is so high on the used ones. They're worth it, though, IMO. Good luck.

whimsical brainpan said...

From what I understand it takes a while to get used to the memory foam but once you do it is well worth it.

As for the used car, I'd go for a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.

S.B.G. said...

ditto to car choices above-- the cars we consider the best that Consumer Reports consider best are Toyota, Honda and Subaru. We've had both Toyotas(1), and Subaru (3), and can sing their praises. They may cost more, even used, but the quality is much better so it pays off. Also there's this thing called a good deal and that's still possible even with these sought after makes. :-). Best wishes in the car search :-)

Anonymous said...

It's been 2 months since I bought my first memory foam mattress, and I absolutely love it! I don't think it was this blog, but it was reading something like this that convinced me to buying one. I was originally concerned that it would make me too hot after reading some article about how memory foam is an insulator - but to be honest I've not noticed any difference, have you?